theclickofalight@gmail.com

Monday 9 November 2009

Monday Mixtape #3

Dave's been busy this week eating lush food in various cities around the UK, so this week's theme is 100% Pip. I hope you don't mind.

Week 3: Covers

This week's albums will be by either the bands being covered, or the bands covering - obviously. Covers can be a bit difficult; bands have to show respect for the original while remaining unique and original. I've chosen some of my favourite covers, and I've tried to avoid famous or 'classic' covers, although one or two may have seeped in cos they are actually damn good. Some personal highlights include Love's cover of 'Hey Joe' (oh, and it isn't a Hendrix original, it was first recorded by a garaga band called the Leaves, although the authorship remains contentious), as I heart Arthur Lee; Florence & The Machine covering Beirut (it is telling that her only two good songs are both covers...); and Iron & Wine's live version of the Stones' 'Wild Horses', which is just such a beautiful song. If I ever find a girl foolish enough to marry me, I'm going to insist on having the original as our wedding song. Oh, and I didn't intend to have two Pixies covers after one another, but I couldn't be arsed to actually put any thought into the order of the playlist, so I let iTunes shuffle do it for me, and that's the way it turned out. Enjoy.

1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Sheena Is A Punk Rocker – original by the Ramones
2. The White Stripes – Jolene (Peel Session) – original by Dolly Parton
3. Franz Ferdinand – All My Friends – original by LCD Soundsystem
4. Art In Manila – The Sweat Descends – original by Les Savy Fav
5. Tunng – The Pioneers – original by Bloc Party
6. Love – Hey Joe – original by the Leaves
7. Casiotone For The Painfully Alone – Graceland – original by Paul Simon
8. Otis Redding – (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction – original by the Rolling Stones
9. Florence & The Machine – Postcards From Italy – original by Beirut
10. Iron & Wine – Wild Horses (Live) – original by the Rolling Stones
11. José González – Heartbeats – original by the Knife
12. Run Toto Run – Sleepy Head – original by Passion Pit
13. Andrew Jackson Jihad – Two-Headed Boy – original by Neutral Milk Hotel
14. Emily Haines – Don't Think Twice, It's All Right – original by Bob Dylan
15. Band Of Horses – Plans– original by Grizzly Bear
16. Jens Lekman – You Can Call Me Al (Live) – original by Paul Simon
17. Tom Williams & The Boat – Bonkers – original by Dizzee Rascal
18. xx – You've Got The Love – original by the Source
19. TV On The Radio – Mr. Grieves – original by the Pixies
20. Emmy The Great – Where Is My Mind? (Live) – original by the Pixies

No comments: